A rustic and rich braised Italian chicken dish in a herby tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on *see tips for chicken breast substution
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (1 medium) onion, small diced
- 1/2 cup (1 large) carrot, small dice
- 3 tsp (6 cloves) garlic, minced
- 1 Tuscan blend
- 3/4 cup (8 fl oz) white wine (or broth)
- 1 cup olives, black or green or mixed*
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- Slow Cook: 1) Heat the oil in a skillet on a medium heat; season chicken pieces with salt & brown for 4 minutes, turn after 2 minutes onto other side to brown 2) transfer the chicken to the cooker 3) add the onion & carrot to the skillet and soften for 2 minutes 4) stir in the garlic 5) transfer onion, carrot & garlic mixture to the cooker 6) add the Tuscan blend, white wine (or broth), olives, and tomatoes to the cooker 7) Stir, cover and cook on LOW: 7-8 hours or HIGH: 2-½ - 3 hours
- Pressure Cook: 1) Heat oil on sauté function; season chicken pieces with salt & brown for 4 minutes, turn after 2 minutes onto other side to brown 2) push chicken to one side in cooker 3) add the onion & carrot to the cooker and soften for 2 minutes 4) stir in the garlic 5) add the Tuscan blend, white wine (or broth), olives, and tomatoes to the cooker 6) Secure the cooker lid, seal pressure valve; cook on Manual/Pressure for 15 minutes. 7) Natural Pressure Release for 5 minutes before removing lid and serving
Great served just as it is or over soft quick cooked polenta, Cacciatore or Cacciatora is otherwise known as Hunter's Chicken Stew. There are many recipes from the different regions of Italy. Some favor red wine over white, others add mushrooms. You can choose!
If you decide to add mushrooms add 4 oz cremini, sliced along with the onion & carrot at step 3 in the recipes above. Enjoy!
* You can use “fancier" olives but honestly these regular grocery store jarred and pitted black and green are what I started with and they worked a treat!
Substitutions: Replace the chicken thighs with 2 lbs chicken breasts
slow cook: adjust cook time to LOW 3-1/2 hours or HIGH 1-1/2 - 2 hours
pressure cook: adjust cook time to 6 minutes Manual
Other recipes you might like